Monday, June 3, 2013

week 14

Just look at those springs. They definitely look like they want to stab you.

The brand of my project saxophone. It's a "cheap yamaha" everyone keeps telling me.

Wow, I wonder what happened there, those marks are pretty weird.

I drilled a hole into my hammer, just for fun! Doesn't it look cool?

Kidding, I really had to straighten hinge rods, and to do that, we have to spin them in our bench motor, while twisting the hammer handle and slowly moving it outwards. Basically bending the rod straight.

The sax looks kind of weird with no keys on, but the keyguard on.

And my saxophone has a bad keyguard attachment to the body that isn't soldered properly. It doesn't have much to hold on and soldering it in place is a fun small project that will take no time. I won't even burn any lacquer!

There. Now it's on. The lacquer got a bit foggy around, but with some quick light buffing that goes away.

 Just another angle.

Wow, just look at that key and the giant bur the manufacturer left on. The end of the tube has been violently hacked off, by the looks of it.

 Giant bur again, from a different angle so it's easier to see.

Wow, and there's even a huge slanted gap between the hinge tubes. I'll need to straighten it and swedge (but not too much so nothing moves out of place) to make it look good.

Another keyguard flange that wasn't on properly, I failed to take a before picture, but this one is a bit messier than the last, and I managed to burn some lacquer.

And another shot of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment