Tuesday, June 11, 2013

week 18 and graduation!

Putting on a felt to the keyguard, it will then stop the bell keys from opening up too much (setting the venting).

There it is on the keyguard, and on the saxophone! And yes, that felt is black, we were out of purple and  I hope Lucas doesn't notice when he grades my saxophone. Black kind of fits because I used black (charcoal) felt on the lower stack in combination with cork.

My saxophone all nice and ready in the case!

Just a nice shot of the upper stack.

Right hand palm keys.

That is a bassoon! (also known as faggott in some places) It's a very interesting instrument, most commonly made of maple, leather (some cork) pads and uses double reeds. We went over the regulation and where points of lost motion are. Overhauling this would have been loads of fun!

Just look at all the keys!

Some funny looking keys.

That's the mellophone again. Notice that it's not a spacegun anymore. Finally!

Had a hard time making some of the flanges behave, so it got really messy. I'll have to buff that off.

The mouthpiece receiver and mouthpipe, now without twisters and in correct position!

 This is where I attached the space gun to the bell, it was a pretty hard solder joint to fit.

Contact solder points. Who's terrible idea was this? Those were a terrible pain to solder and making the solder stick in the right places wasn't fun either. I got it to look fairly good (this is of course before cleanup and buffing).

Oh! Crack repair! I wasn't feeling like drilling a hole myself, so I covered up an old one instead, just to see if I could.

You make a damn out of masking tape, then put superglue on it, then grenadilla (or whatever the clarinet is made out of, if different) dust and hold your finger tight to it (make sure you superglue some dust on your finger too, because it's so much fun to get off). Sadly I failed to take a "after" picture, but just imagine that you can't notice that any work was done to it.

Time to graduate!

And graduated! I graduated with honors (meaning that my grade point average was higher than 3,5 out of 4) and so that's why I have those silly yellow robes hanging around my neck.
I'll keep posting interesting things on my blog, I can't just stop after this!

No comments:

Post a Comment