Tuesday, June 11, 2013

week 17

Time to cut up our baby clarinets! In this scenario we are pretending that the tenon doesn't fit the socket anymore and we need to cut it off and make a sleeve to make it the right size again. It's pretty invasive but when you're done it's hard to tell it was done and it holds up well too.

Yes, there's cork on one side of it (we're pretending it still has cork on the other side), and it's going to protect that tenon from getting deep chuck marks in.

Now, I've cut down  one side on the lathe to make space for the sleeve.

My tenon when I was done, and the two sleeves (you only need one but somehow I messed up a measurement, so I made another).

This is the one that was too short, oops. It was pretty quick to make so it wasn't too troublesome to make another.

There is the other one. It's supposed to stick out a bit. At this point we would glue the sleeve on to the tenon with some epoxy and let it sit for a while. The glue will stick out a bit on the end which is fine, because then we chuck the (baby) clarinet back into the lathe and cut off the end of the sleeve that is sticking out.

This is my saxophone neck, I discovered some dents in it  where the upper octave key smashes against it (and one has to wonder why they don't put something to protect the key from doing that, when it's off the saxophone, hm..).

Another angle of the dent (I had a similar dent on both sides).

 It looks like the dent is gone now, after I rubbed it a bit with some saxophone tools Lucas showed me.

Looks better now!

Putting on a new neck cork, and when everything was done except for cutting off the excess and waxing it up, I waxed it and melted the wax with my torch. I also got the cork caught on fire. Just my luck!
Note to self: Go slower and keep the torch further away next time!

This is my house in Red Wing. I lived in the attic (top floor). It looks pretty nice on the outside but isn't that great on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment